Is there anyone that actually believes all the headlines that read “Amnesty Bill is Dead!” last Friday following the two failed cloture votes?
I’m not even sure that it was knocked down, let alone killed. I think instead it is “playing possum”. Senator Reid pulls the bill because he knows that it can’t pass (yet), then immediately creates political pressure on the President by dubbing it “Bush’s Bill”. The President, still in Europe, almost immediately starts the verbal arm-twisting, with the physical to come this week upon his return.
Imagine for a moment that your childhood dream has come true, and you’re a United States Senator. A bill is being debated, and since it is a fairly complex bill with seemingly good and bad points, you haven’t made up your mind how you want to vote on it. A cloture vote comes up…how do you vote on the motion? Do you vote against cloture and let the debate continue, to give yourself more time to sort things out? Or do you vote for cloture and force an up-or-down vote? If cloture passes, either with or without your help, how do you now vote on the bill?
Here’s how the two Ohio Senators’ office staff responded today to my questions:
- 1) What is the Senator’s position on S1348?
- The Senator doesn’t have a stated position on the bill yet, and since it’s not being currently debated, probably will not release one soon.
- 2) Why did the Senator vote for the cloture motion on S1348?
- The Senator wanted to end debate, force an up-or-down vote, and move on to other issues.
- 3) Since the Senator voted to force the up-or-down vote by voting for cloture, how would he have voted on the bill?
- I don’t know!
So both of my Senators “didn’t know” how they would vote on the bill, but voted for the motion to force the vote, but their office can’t tell me how they would have voted when they had to!
Keep an eye out the next time Paris Hilton breaks a fingernail and consumes all of the news stories, because when you least expect it, S1348 will spring back to life and be pushed though faster than you can…
Sorry, I know that’s never happened in American history before. I don’t know what got over me…
Ohio, USNA, ZC2BD